A no cost extension is the extension of a project period at no additional cost to the sponsor. If a project's awarded period is ending, but the PI identifies that the research needs to continue, a no-cost extension allows the end date to be extended and the work to be completed.
Requesting a No Cost Extension
To request a No Cost Extension in GMAS, from the segment home page, select “Actions” and then “Create request”. Follow the prompts to enter the required information before locking and routing.
- New end date
- Budget and budget justification for the extension period, if required by sponsor
- Estimate of funds remaining
- Justification for the extension
- Other information as required by the sponsor, department, or University
No Cost Extension Request Roles and Responsibilities
- The department holds primary responsibility for entering information in GMAS to formally request a no cost extension.
- The OSP Awards Management team reviews no cost extension requests once the GMAS request is completed and signed.
- The OSP Awards Management team submits to the sponsor and marks the request as submitted in GMAS, if applicable.
- If the no cost extension is approved, sponsor documentation is required. The Awards Management team reviews the notice, if required, and logs it to the no cost extension request.
- The OSP Operations team initiates a revision on the GMAS account.
- The OSP Awards Management team reviews and commits the revision to the account, generating an action memo that is sent to those listed on the Administrative team in GMAS