Harvard University has deployed the web-based system, ecrt, to serve as the new tool to facilitate the effort certification and reporting process. Harvard’s previous process – which consisted of paper forms – will no longer be used.
To access ecrt, click on the icon below:
At Harvard, there are two types of effort certifications:The ecrt system is designed to help comply with the provisions of Harvard’s effort reporting policy, federal policy (Uniform Guidance, Subpart E - Cost Principles §200.430), NIH Salary Limitation on Grants, and other relevant agency policies that govern the need to provide certification of an individual's effort pursuant to his/her sponsored and non-sponsored programs. Please direct any questions to the ecrt help desk: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Annual Faculty Effort Certifications: Harvard PIs/faculty and other academic appointees who have effort on federal awards certify their salary (including academic-year, supplemental and summer) on an annual basis (July 1-June 30).
- Quarterly Project Effort Certifications: Federal projects with non-faculty salary charges are certified by the project PI on a quarterly basis. The quarterly certifications cover July-September, October-December, January-March, and April-June.
- Sept 14, 2015 - FY15 Annual Faculty & Q4 Project Effort Certifications Review Period Opens
- Oct 6, 2015 - FY15 Annual Faculty & Q4 Project Effort Certifications Period Opens
- Nov 4, 2015 - FY15 Annual Faculty & Q4 Project Effort Certifications are Due
In general, the certification window begins within a month after its corresponding period of performance. Each time a certification window begins, there are 30 calendar days to certify the effort.
Important ecrt Dates - Updated August 2015
Due dates, reporting periods, and certification periods for annual and quarterly effort certifications through FY15
Policy & Procedures
- Harvard University Effort Reporting Policy
Adherence to this policy is required for all effort related to federally sponsored grants and contracts as well as any non-federal awards where the sponsor requires effort reporting and/or salary certification.
- Effort Reporting Procedures Manual -- coming soon
The procedures manual includes best practices for managing effort, complying with effort reporting policies, and for effective use of ecrt.
Designee Approval Form - A designee approval form is required when a PI delegates Quarterly Project Effort Certification responsibility to another individual with first-hand knowledge of the PI's sponsored award. Designee requests must be approved by the Tub Effort Coordinator.
- Request for Delegation of Authority for Quarterly Project Effort Certifications (also available in .docx format)
- FAS Request for Delegation of Authority for Quarterly Project Effort Certifications (also available in .docx format)
Proxy Approval Form - A proxy approval form is required if a faculty member is unable to sign his/her own Annual Faculty Effort Certification. Proxy requests must be approved by the school's Tub Effort Coordinator and the authorized approver in OSP.
- Request for Proxy of Authority for Annual Effort Certifications (also available in .docx format) updated May 2014
Effort Certification Status Change Processing
This diagram shows the different stages of an effort certification (pending, open for certification & historical) and the work flow process from when payroll transactions load into ecrt to final certification
- FY15 Guidance for Creating and Posting Payroll Journals updated March 2015
- FY14 Guidance for Creating and Posting Payroll Journals updated April 2014
Guidelines on journal entry proration for pay periods that cross certification periods and posting the "Period of Work Performed" for FY14 and FY15
- Effort Coordinators Responsibilities Flow Chart
This diagram shows the responsibilities of ecrt, the Tub Effort Coordinator, the Department Primary Effort Coordinator, the Grant Manager, and the Principal Investigator for each stage of the effort certification process (quarterly and annual)
- Using the Department Dashboard
Provides detailed guidance on how to use and navigate the different tabs of the department dashboard
Primary/Secondary Effort Coordinator Job Aid
Provides an overview of the Primary/Secondary Effort Coordinator's roles and responsibilities including reporting and managing grant manager assignments
Tub Effort Coordinator Job Aid
Provides an overview of the Tub Effort Coordinator's roles and responsibilities including, monitoring effort reports, assigning roles, communicating changes, and overriding statement
- Frequently Asked Questions
Addresses frequently asked questions relating to policy and ecrt procedures, including certification, review, training, and department setup/security
- ecrt Status Icons
Description of the icons used in ecrt to indicate the status of effort reports
- Object Codes
List of object codes that are included on Annual Faculty Effort Certifications and Quarterly Project Effort Certifications in ecrt
- ecrt Reporting Matrix
Role-based matrix of reports available through ecrt (includes report results and limitations)
Additional resources are available through the ecrt Wiki Site.
Online ecrt trainings with simulations are available through Eureka (PIN login required).
The following modules are available:
- Overview of ecrt
- Logging In and Navigating ecrt
- ecrt for Grant Managers
- ecrt for Primary Effort Coordinators
- How to Certify Effort Reports and Project Statements
- Reporting in ecrt
The ecrt Basics Training slides used for the in-person training course run by the CWD and ecrt team are also available. The topics covered in these slides include an overview of the effort reporting lifecycle, ecrt roles and responsibilities, policy overview, troubleshooting and method for adjustments, and tips and tricks.
Additional and updated training resources are available through the ecrt Wiki Site.
Office for Sponsored Programs: The Office for Sponsored programs is responsible for business aspects of the ecrt effort reporting system. For policy questions or help with functions issues, contact the ecrt help desk: email@example.com.
FSS: FSS manages security roles/rights for ecrt and provides user access to the system.
Tub-level Effort Coordinators: The tub-level effort coordinators (TEC) at each school oversee school-level compliance with University policy and local-level implementation of effort reporting:
HMS/HSDM - Samantha Cohen & Nadège Volcy
HSPH - Judy Lo
FAS - Allison Wellman-Smith & Nuala McGowan
SEAS - Carleen Brunelli
WYSS - Paula Cornelio
HKS - Melissa Siegel
GSE - Tiffany Cott
JCHS - Mary Lancaster
HLS - Devin Advani and Geoffrey Swift
HGHI - Edna Liquidano
Other GSIA Schools - Jonathan Dutt
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional questions and resources.