Harvard University has deployed the web-based system, ecrt, to serve as the new tool to facilitate the effort certification and reporting process. Harvard’s previous process – which consisted of paper forms – will no longer be used.
To access ecrt, click on the icon below:
At Harvard, there are two types of effort certifications: The ecrt system is designed to help comply with the provisions of Harvard’s effort reporting policy, federal policy (Uniform Guidance, Subpart E - Cost Principles §200.430), NIH Salary Limitation on Grants, and other relevant agency policies that govern the need to provide certification of an individual's effort pursuant to his/her sponsored and non-sponsored programs. Please direct any questions to the ecrt help desk: email@example.com.
- Annual Faculty Effort Certifications: Harvard PIs/faculty and other academic appointees who have effort on federal awards certify their salary (including academic-year, supplemental and summer) on an annual basis (July 1-June 30).
- Quarterly Project Effort Certifications: Federal projects with non-faculty salary charges are certified by the project PI on a quarterly basis. The quarterly certifications cover July-September, October-December, January-March, and April-June.
- January 22, 2018 - FY18 Q2 Project Certification Review Period Opens *
- February 12, 2018 - FY18 Q2 Project Certification Period Opens**
- March 13, 2018 - FY18 Q2 Project Certification Due
*Please note that while a reminder email will be sent out 21 days prior to the certification start date, effort coordinators are encouraged to review their statements frequently (monthly is suggested) as salary data posts to the respective statements within 2 days. Users can log in to view this at any time throughout the period of performance.
**In general, the certification window begins within a month after its corresponding period of performance. Each time a certification window begins, there are 30 calendar days to certify the effort.
Policy & Procedures
Harvard University Effort Reporting Policy
Adherence to this policy is required for all effort related to federally sponsored grants and contracts as well as any non-federal awards where the sponsor requires effort reporting and/or salary certification._____________________________________
Designee Approval Form - A designee approval form is required when a PI delegates Quarterly Project Effort Certification responsibility to another individual with first-hand knowledge of the PI's sponsored award. Designee requests must be approved by the Tub Effort Coordinator.
- Request for Delegation of Authority for Quarterly Project Effort Certifications (also available in .docx format)
Proxy Approval Form - A proxy approval form is required if a faculty member is unable to sign his/her own Annual Faculty Effort Certification. Proxy requests must be approved by the school's Tub Effort Coordinator and the authorized approver in OSP.
- Request for Proxy of Authority for Annual Effort Certifications (also available in .docx format) updated May 2014
ALERT: The Jobs Aids and Resources previoulsy housed gere can now be found on the Harvard Training Portal (HTP) through the newly created ecrt Group. Please login to the HTP and join this group to access the most up to date versions of these as well as to view newly created documents.
Office for Sponsored Programs: The Office for Sponsored programs is responsible for business aspects of the ecrt effort reporting system. For policy questions or help with functions issues, contact the ecrt help desk: firstname.lastname@example.org.
HUIT ATS: HUIT ATS manages security roles/rights for ecrt and provides user access to the system.
Tub-level Effort Coordinators: The tub-level effort coordinators (TEC) at each school oversee school-level compliance with University policy and local-level implementation of effort reporting:
HMS/HSDM - Rita Bergemann
HSPH - Judy Lo
FAS - Christyne Anderson
SEAS - Christyne Anderson
WYSS - Paula Cornelio
HKS - Samantha Schwartz
GSE - Tiffany Cott
JCHS - Mary Lancaster
HLS - Leah Keating
Other GSIA Schools - Jonathan Dutt
Contact email@example.com for additional questions and resources.